Saturday, January 17, 2009

Movie Review... of the best movie this year

Okay, so we saw Gran Torino. I had my doubts when I very first heard about it. I hear "Clint Eastwood" and my brain defaults to westerns. Which, sorry, I don't enjoy. But the more I heard about it and the more I saw the previews, the more I wanted to see it.

So when hubby brought it home (don't ask, we didn't download it or purchase it, just don't ask), I knew I would sit and watch it with him. Well, we finally did last night.

Best. Movie. Of. The. Year.

Hands down. If you haven't seen it, go see it before it leaves theaters. If you have seen it, leave me a comment and give me your feelings (spoiler-free please).

Clint is badass*. I mean, he always was, but this movie... wow. Okay, it's not the most culturally sensitive movie. And I'll admit, I died laughing at several parts where Clint was blatantly and horribly racist. But I couldn't help it. Just the way he was a complete and total ass. It was funny. BTW, I totally want him to be my surly neighbor now.

The story is good, and I really can't reveal much because I know some of you haven't seen it. Just trust me when I say it is amazing and I'm already to watch it again. I didn't see the ending in the way it happened, I expected something else, but it wasn't disappointing.

So if you have the cash, and the time, go see Gran Torino this weekend. I promise, it is an awesome, amazing, spectacular, and every-other-adjective-that-means-good movie.

*Saying he was badass reminded me of a joke my husband told some of us last weekend at our friends' house: "Why does Clint Eastwood always talk through clenched teeth? He's trying to hold back the awesome!" Laugh. You know it's true.

2 comments:

MalContent said...

I totally knew you'd love his assholery and unapologetic racism. Literally, while I was watching the movie I remember thinking: "Ash is so going to love this."

MalContent said...

Left something out: What really struck me though is that in spite of his sour view on life there was no way he was going to let people get hurt or even molested if there was something he could do about it. He'd make excuses but the fact was he was a deeply honorable man.

I think I've mentioned it elsewhere but I also like how it turns the now-trite Karate Kid formula around because it tells the story from the viewpoint of the old guy.