Monday, January 26, 2009

K is for...

K is for... krappy letter. haha... No, really, I'm having a hard time with this one.

K is for kitchen.

I never did enjoy cooking (or the aftermath of cleaning). For a while when I was younger my mom would make my brother and I each take a night where we would cook (obviously with help) dinner. I don't remember it lasting very long. And I think I defaulted to turkey burgers more than once.

Tangent: can I just tell you I make some rockin' turkey burgers? I like to put chopped green pepper and carrot shavings and feta cheese in them... ohhhhh tasty.

So yeah, never did get into cooking much. Then sometime after high school I started really enjoying cookies and cakes and such. Maybe it's when I worked at a bakery. I would sit and chat with the decorators and watch them create these beautiful cakes. Then I would go home and decorate sugar cookies. So baking became my thing.

Then I got married. And I knew I couldn't make Tim cook every night. So I cooked a little. I was very proud of myself on the day I sliced raw chicken breasts. I had never done that before. Raw meat grossed me out. I dreaded the mixing of my turkey burgers.

Tangent: really, the turkey burgers are amazing. I may have to post a recipe next time I make them.

Then I started reading blogs. You should see the ridiculous size of my favorites list. Ridiculous doesn't even begin to cover it. So I start reading these blogs and started wanting to make some of these things. So I did. And it was easy! And the food turned out good! Imagine that!

Now I actually kind of enjoy cooking. I like trying to make new things. I'm still scared of frying things. All that popping oil... OUCH! But I totally try new things. Just last week I tried two new things! And there's lots more on the list of things I want to try. I may just have to make a recipe a weekly thing around here. My blog could include a little bit of everything. Cooking, crafting, fashion, humor, sarcasm... wait, I went on another tangent.

So there ya go. You'll find me in the kitchen at least four days a week making an excellent dinner. Who would have thought?

No comments: