Thursday, April 23, 2009

San Diego

So I'm still not feeling totally motivated to write, but I need to just do it already. Since I was gone for four days I'm going to milk it and get several blog posts out of it. So here's Friday!

Note: I'm really bad at getting pictures of hubby and me. Most of them end up being a quick one taken by us. So sorry there aren't more of us. If I had my own personal photographer to follow me around, I totally would.

So we actually left on time (shock surprise!) and were on the road by six that morning. The drive was pretty uneventful. Until we stopped for gas.

We had to go to San Marcos first to take care of something and we stopped at some random gas station before we got there. We're sitting there and I totally smelled pot. It was STRONG. I almost said something to hubby but then I looked over at the guy who had just pulled up next to us and it was obvious it was him. I didn't want the guy to freak out if I shouted something about the smell, so I shut up. Then the guy asks hubby for a buck because he left his wallet at home and his change in the car won't be enough for a decent amount of gas. I'm laughing because he even talks like your cliched stoner. Hubby gave him a dollar and the guy thanks him forever. Then asks, "Do you blaze?" I died. Hubby said no of course, but I just laughed while the guy said he would totally give him some for helping him out. Pot for a buck, what a deal. So we got a good laugh out of that for the rest of the day. Hubby also laughed and said, "He forgot his wallet, but he remembered the important stuff."

So we go to San Marcos, take care of what needs to get done, and headed to San Diego. Got to our hotel, checked in, and tried to figure out what we wanted to do. Part of my plan for the trip was to hit some cupcake bakeries, so we figured we could do that first. We went to a place called Cupcakes Squared, and all I'll say is that I was in HEAVEN. I'll review the cupcakes in a totally separate blog.

We took our cupcakes to our hotel, ate two of them, and then decided to go visit the Whaley House. If you have no clue what that is, it's apparently the most haunted house in the state. Go look it up if you want some history. Hubby and I expected it to be bigger so we were surprised when we got there. I took lots of pictures, but we didn't see anything. Bummer. After that we decided we would just bum around.

Sign outside the Whaley House

We stopped for dinner at this Mexican place (where they had homemade tortillas!). Ate too much and laughed at the size of their tequila menu. And uttered a word at the price of the shot at the bottom. I took a picture for my dad (the tequila guy around here).

After dinner we decided to keep walking around. And here's the first self-taken picture of the trip... in Old Town.

Old Town was nice. It wasn't crazy busy, there are some fun shops, lots of stuff to take pictures of. We walked off dinner and just enjoyed the slowness of it all.

Of course I had to take a picture of the first public schoolhouse in San Diego.


From there we just headed back to the hotel and ate our last two cupcakes. (Yes, we're cows and bought FOUR that day). And planned the next day, which you'll hear about tomorrow.

No comments: