Tuesday, April 14, 2009

American Idol - Top 7

It's Tuesday night again!!! The theme tonight is songs from movies. And Quentin Tarantino is the mentor tonight. That threw me when I heard it last week. The man is a director, not a musician. And no matter how awesome his movies are, he still creeps me out a bit...

But his movies do tend to have some SWEET soundtracks.

Okay and he looks particularly freaky with the hair he's sporting right now. Yuck. Oh, and small change to the judging tonight. Only two judges are allowed to speak per contestant. That's what they get for going over last week.

Allison Iraheta - I Don't Want To Miss a Thing (Armageddon) - Love this song, love this movie, love Allison. I FIGURED OUT WHO HER VOICE REMINDS ME OF!!! Pink! Who I also love... but back to Allison. I liked her. It was a slightly softer sound, but she still got to rock the chorus. Paula called her "authentic, remarkable, talented." Simon said she's the "girls' only hope left in the competition." Woohooooo!!!! Go Allison! Simon said "they could see her all the way to the end."

Anoop Desai - Everything I Do (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves) - I love when Anoop tries to slow it down. He's almost crushable. And he is NAILING this song. I like it. A lot. (Side note: why are Paula and Simon so weird with each other? They've got their arms around each other while he's singing.). Ha, I love the people shouting Anoop's name. Randy said he "found his zone" and was "rockin' the house." Kara said he "found his place" and said it was "probably one of his best performances." Yay!!!

Adam Lambert - Born to Be Wild (Easy Rider) - He did his own thing with it again. And pretty much killed it again. Does he ever mess up?? It was slightly punk, which I am so a fan of. And sorry mom, he totally did the phallic thing with the microphone again. I know that's not your favorite. Paula was standing and "woo"-ing when the camera went to her. She liked him and of course used a lot of words to say so. Simon thought it was "incredible" vocally. And of course he didn't like watching the performance. He compared it to Rocky Horror. To which Adam responded that he loved the movie. Can't say I'm surprised...

Matt Giraud - Have You Really Ever Loved a Woman (Don Juan de Marco) - Okay, I can get past the fact that we have two Bryan Adams songs in one night. Because I LOVE Matt. Once he got to the chorus he started sounding a bit too much like the original version. But his opening was great! I like when he does his breathy bluesy thing. Randy liked it, but thought the bridge was rough (I agree). Kara talked too much and basically said the same thing Randy did. Somebody should stand behind her and Paula with a ball gag. When they reach 100 words they get gagged. This isn't the "Paula and Kara Show." Jeez...

Danny Gokey - Endless Love (Endless Love) - I'm sorry, but this is one of the most wussified songs out there. I'm not thrilled with the choice. Was there NOTHING else he wanted to sing? At least he did a good job. And he did get better as he went. I liked it, but I was hoping to be surprised with his song choice. No surprise here. Paula started out unsure, but ended up liking it. Simon was disappointed with the harp and the traditional version.

I just informed hubby that I don't love Danny anymore. He's still good, but he's not my number one. Then hubby quipped that he looks like a chubby Robert Downey Jr. Maybe that's why I liked him so much right off the bat...

Kris Allen - Falling Slowly (Once) - I don't know this movie or this song. So I'm going totally unbiased here. Easy: I loved him. I don't want to love the pretty boy in the competition, but I loved him tonight. He sounded amazing and kept it simple. Which I kind of love sometimes. Randy said "it never quite caught on" for him. Then called it "pitchy." Um, he must have broken into Paula's stash tonight. Kara said it was "one of his best moments EVER."

Oh, and he kind of reminds me of James Franco. Maybe that's what I like about him too... me and my celeb crushes.

Lil Rounds - The Rose (no clue what movie) - I liked the start a lot. Her little "gospel interlude" wasn't bad either. But I would have liked to see her stay simple. She hasn't been able to pull off simple easily lately. But it was still a good performance. Not great. Paula talked too much and Simon rolled his eyes BIG TIME. Hubby and I laughed. Simon didn't like the song for her. And said, "You are NOT the artist I believed we met seven or eight weeks ago." Ouch.

I thought everyone did pretty well tonight. But vocally I think Lil and Matt may have been the weakest.

Ha, hubby is watching the little "review" session and made the most disgusted face at Adam. I love this man.

1 comment:

MalContent said...

How did I not know you liked Pink? Huh.

It's okay with me -- I like some of her stuff, too.