Tuesday, April 21, 2009

American Idol - Top 7 (Again)

Since Matt was saved last week we have a Top Seven, Part 2. And since the judges used their save, that means that two will go home tomorrow. Even worse? This week is disco week. I don't see much good coming from this one...

Lil Rounds - I'm Every Woman - I could probably call this predictable and people would agree with me. She was good, but I wouldn't call her great. It was good karaoke. It's exactly what you would hear from a girl at a karaoke bar who is good, but not quite great. Randy didn't think it showed what she can really do. Kara was also disappointed. Paula tried to defend her by saying she had no voice yesterday (hello, sympathy vote), then said it wasn't "hot." Simon said he thinks it will be her last week. I have to agree with him. Not great. Let's lose her.

Why on earth do they let Ryan give the singers the "opportunity" to respond to the judges? It's lame and a time-waster.

Kris Allen - She Works Hard For the Money - I'm SO glad he changed the arrangement. When he said he was singing this song I got worried. But he did his own thing, which seems to work in his favor. I really liked it. And tonight I think I'm seeing a resemblance to Orlando Bloom. Damn. I need to quit seeing guys that I have crushes on in Kris. I don't want to be all gaga over him. Kara said he took a "real risk and it paid off BIG time." Paula said it had a "classy, Santana feel." Simon mocked Paula for being stupid (again) and then called it a fantastic performance. Randy said he proved that he's "ready for the big time."

Danny Gokey - September - Okay I actually liked him tonight. I didn't love him, but I don't love the song so that made it a bit hard. I do wish someone would teach him some non-awkward dance moves for the stage. I think that's how hubby might look if he were forced to do something like this (sorry honey, but it's true). Randy liked it. Kara confessed she was worried about the genre tonight, but called him "an incredible vocalist." Paula liked it (and I just realized her lip gloss is a weird color on her) and said he has "one of the sexiest voices ever." Simon liked the singing, but didn't get any "star power" from the performance.

Allison Iraheta - Hot Stuff - Holy cow her intro was sweet. And of course it's more rock and roll than it used to be. I love this girl. Can she be my little sister? She kills every note and looks cute doing it. I loved it. Randy didn't love the arrangement (whatev), but called her "one of the best singers in the competition." Kara didn't like the arrangement either, but told her that she picked the right song. She then agreed about the best singer comment from Randy. Paula rambled a bit, then finally spit out that she liked her. Simon called it "a brilliant performance." Wow, he totally busted out with the word "brilliant."

Adam Lambert - If I Can't Have You - We have Adam in a suit. This should be interesting. He does tend to be better when he slows it down though. Less distractions and phallic microphone action. His arrangement was definitely different, but he was way good. It's nice to see him toned down and he obviously knows it. I wouldn't buy it, but I'll admit he was good. Randy said he's "ready right now" and "has it majorly going on." Kara called him brilliant. Paula spoke too many words (with looks and eye rolls from Simon) to say she loved it. Simon said he thought Adam would do Donna Summer, then said the vocals were "immaculate."

For real, is Paula on something? I know people joke about it and her publicists deny it, but the woman is crazy weird. I have a hard time believing she's not on something.

Matt Giraud - Stayin' Alive - He busted out the Justin Timberlake hat again tonight. Wonder if it's good luck? It was good, close to the original but still different enough to be good. He does have some excellent vocals. Randy didn't love the choice or arrangement, but said he "can reeeally sing." Kara said he "brought disco back" to the night. She called it a "solid performance." Paula is on my last nerve this season with her rambling and her analogies. She said he "bowled a strike." Simon didn't like it.

Anoop Desai - Dim All the Lights - Anoop is rockin' the scruff tonight. He still looks like any other college boy. I totally do not know this song, so I'm not feeling any particular love for it. His vocals are good, like always. But it doesn't seem outstanding to me. Randy talked too much, but said Anoop can sing. Kara said it sounded like "it could be on the radio." Paula loved him and talked forever to spit that out. Simon thought it was "mediocre at best."

So who's in the bottom tomorrow? I think Lil will be again. Possibly Matt again. And likely Anoop.

No comments: