Sunday, April 5, 2009

Caramel Frosting...


... for National Caramel Day. You think I'm making this up? Nope. Head on over to the American Food Holidays site. I enjoy it. Although I've not actually made something because it was a holiday. I meant to do it on Friday, which was Chocolate Mousse Day. But I didn't check ahead of time and failed to notice that the mousse needs EIGHT HOURS to set. So that plan got slashed.
But today I totally followed through on my plans. I looked around for caramel recipes, but really wasn't feeling making my own caramel. And didn't want to make a trip to the store JUST for caramels. I did have caramel ice cream topping here though. So I found a recipe for frosting that uses the topping!

After I figured out my frosting I had to decide what I was going to put it on. I JUST did cupcakes yesterday, so I didn't want to do them again. And I wanted a recipe I could scale down easily. I don't need desserts floating around here for days. I found a chocolate cookie recipe (sorry, I didn't save the link). So chocolate cookies with caramel frosting it was!

Hubby may eat all of them tonight if I let him. Of course he also said he could eat the frosting with a spoon. So if you want to give it a try...


Caramel Frosting

3 oz. cream cheese, soft
3 tbsp. butter, soft
4-6 tbsp. caramel sauce/topping
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar

Mix the cream cheese and butter until light. Mix in caramel and vanilla on low speed. Add powdered sugar a little at a time and mix until incorporated. Beat on high for two additional minutes.

No comments: