Wednesday, April 1, 2009

American Idol - Top 9

The contestants got to pick from a pretty wide range... a top download. This is probably the biggest catalog they've had in any season.

Anoop - Caught Up by Usher - Totally. Pulls. It. Off. Hubby confessed that he actually likes him. Me too. His stage presence was great. He sang the song well. Randy said it wasn't the right song (WRONG). Kara said he played it safe and said it felt like it was done on a dare. Paula rambled about crap. Simon thought it was a mess. I seriously started questioning if the judges were going to be jerks all night. Hubby, Tad and I liked it.

Megan Joy - Turn Your Lights Down Low by Bob Marley/Lauryn Hill - Meh. She really wasn't great. She was better than karaoke, but not good enough for the show. Kara said she thinks she's in trouble. Paula told her she needs to dig deep and "take them by surprise." Simon said the song was boring and all the things they liked about her are disappearing. Randy agreed that it was boring. But she's the baby of Vote for the Worst, so she'll probably stay.

Danny - What Hurts the Most by Rascal Flatts - I liked it. Didn't love it. I love Rascal Flatts though. So that might be part of it. Paula loved it. Simon called it his best performance. Randy said that the night's show started with Danny. Kara said he "moved everyone in the room emotionally." Seriously, are the judges watching the same show as me?

Allison - Don't Speak by No Doubt - I love this song. So I was almost worried. I liked the verse. No, loved the verse. The chorus was a little rough to me. Still good, just not as good as the verse. Of course she rocked it the whole time. She may be one of the few people who can sing Gwen Stefani. Randy was struggling with what she was wearing (I have to agree), but said he still has "mad love" for her. Kara also hated on the clothes and called it a good performance. Paula used the word "axe" in reference to Allison's guitar. The term is officially uncool. But she also said Allison was great. Simon addressed the outfit too. He thought it was a little like an act, with her shouting the song.

Scott - Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel - I don't know what they did with his hair. It was all kinds of wrong. The performance was good. I like that song. And Scott did it well. Would I call him outstanding? Not quite, but he was really good. Kara loved it and called it an "honest performance." Paula said she's proud of him. Simon called it his best performance "by a country mile." Randy loved it.

Matt - You Found Me by The Fray - I can't think of The Fray without thinking of Scrubs. Just a random note for ya. He was really good. As Tad would say, "Great!" I liked him. he was totally in his element. Paula called it a "sound-alike" to the original. Simon didn't like it either. He called it "uptight" and "put on." Randy called it the wrong song. Kara didn't love it, but also said he doesn't deserve to go home this week.

Lil - I Surrender by Celine Dion - That dress... no. Who decided they wanted her to look twice as big as she actually is??? Her performance was good though. I didn't love it. She had a couple strong parts of the song, but I just didn't love it all the way through. Randy STILL didn't like the song choice. Everyone else pretty much said the same thing. The judges are getting very redundant. *yawn*

Adam - Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry - Of course Adam took the song in a different direction. But it was a good direction. He killed. The girls in the audience were screaming. Paula was up dancing. I found myself enjoying him. His performances really are like mini-concerts. Legitimate concerts. Paula rambled and compared him to Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler (not so sure about that). Simon called it original. Randy said he was in the "star zone." Kara made herself look like an idiot by referencing Studio 57. Um, no Kara. It's Studio 54.

Kris - Ain't No Sunshine by Al Green - Okay, I still don't find him hot or anything... but that performance! Holy COW!!! I love him a little after that. He was amazing. That was his best performance for me. Randy said it was one of the best of the night. Kara said "that is artistry." I hate the fact that she feels the need to throw industry words around. Paula called it his best performance. Simon liked the arrangement and called it his best performance as well.

Okay, Kris turned into my favorite last night. But I still liked Anoop. Tad says he liked Anoop. And Danny. And Scott. And Matt. And Adam. And Kris. Uh-oh, is he already reaching the "girls are icky" stage? Hubby liked Anoop.

Results later.

No comments: