Sunday, February 22, 2009

Movie Review

Wednesday night we felt like a movie. Since the kid is still with us (I totally don't mind that either!) we knew it had to be something kid-friendly. So we settled on Coraline (or as Tad says it, "Toraline"). We didn't catch it in 3D because of price and because the theater that's two minutes from us didn't have it in 3D. I'll survive.

Okay, I fully expected some weirdness and some coolness. Tim Burton was involved so it wouldn't be right if it wasn't a little weird.
But it was weird. Not in a bad way. I really liked it. The idea behind it was good, there was a little message for those of you that like messages.
And the stop-motion animation... ohhhhh. LOVED it. The whole beginning sequence was super fun to me because I've been so into stitching and such lately. And the rest of the movie... awesome. Her other-dad's garden was possibly my favorite scene in the movie. It was just cool.
Hubby liked it. "Cool movie, kind of creepy." I'll agree that there was a little creepiness there. It's not as much a kid movie as you'd like to think it is. But Tad liked it. He did admit to me that there were parts that were scary though. But apparently not that scary. He didn't crawl into my lap or anything. He was totally focused the whole movie.
So I'll give it a solid A. Just don't expect your average three-or four-year-old to be enthralled. It's not as juvenile as one would expect.
And previews? Oh how I love previews. There was one for Monsters vs. Aliens. I hadn't actually seen a trailer for that one. It looks HILARIOUS. I may be taking a trip to see that one. Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs also came up. It was the squirrel-thing again in his own little moment with the acorn. Tad loved that. I may see it, but not likely in theaters unless Tad asks for it directly. There was also Up, the new fun from Pixar. It looks weird, but you know I'll see it. Pixar always has awesomeness. Then there was this weird flick called 9. I really am still not sure what was going on with it. It doesn't look like a kid movie. But it looks like one of those movies that you'll regret not seeing on a large screen. Tim Burton is involved in that one too. And Christopher Plummer does a voice. So there's two big reasons for me to want to watch.
Okay, enough of that for one review. No telling when the next review will be, but keep an eye open.
*Edit: Apparently, 9 is based on a short film. I've embedded the short here for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim Burton had nothing to do with Coraline.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1308979/tim_burtons_stopmotion_animated_movie.html

Anonymous said...

But Neil Gaiman did, so it's still made of win.

I'm actually kind of jealous that you saw Coraline before me. And I have no idea why I haven't seen it yet. It totally slipped my mind. Maybe I'll go see it today.

I saw the trailer for 9 when I saw Push. Yeah, didn't know what to make of it. I was totally WTF the whole time. But it does look decent.