Tuesday, February 17, 2009

American Idol - First 12

We're finally down to competition!!!

The thirty-six finalists have been split into three groups of twelve. I'm still not clear on what the heck is going on before they get to the actual top twelve, but whatev. I do know that I'm voting for Danny tonight... I'll put his number up when they get to him. BTW, I'm doing this as the show goes, but just not posting it live. Hence anything that seems random.

First up is Jackie Tohn singing A Little Less Conversation by Elvis. I like this song. I don't know if I love her version. It's not horrible, but it's not my thing either. And her outfit tonight... ugh. Not flattering. I don't think it could be cute on anybody. None of the judges loved her to death, but they each had something good to say. Kind of. You know how Simon is...

Now is Ricky Braddy singing... something. I totally missed what he said he was singing. It's probably something I should know. But he's singing it well. Actually, he's pretty good. Everyone loved him except Simon. He only liked him and commented on his stage presence.

Up third is Alexis Grace singing Never Loved a Man by Aretha. She's good. She's cute too. I would totally find her for my brother if she didn't have a kid. I don't know if he could handle having a kid... but yeah, back to her singing. I like her. Better than Jackie. All four judges LOVE her. Simon told her she's the best contestant and reminds him of Kelly Clarkson. She's "one to watch."

Brent Keith is next. Maybe not quite as swoon-worthy as I originally thought. But he's still cute. He's singing a song I know, Hicktown, by Jason Aldean. Honestly, he doesn't sound as great as I thought he would. Hubby just echoed the sentiment. He doesn't strike me as a star here. Randy liked him, Kara called him "safe." Paula is going with Randy and saying she sees him as a country star. Simon wasn't impressed.

Now we're seeing Stevie Wright. She's going to sing You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift. Ouch, rough start. Nope... just not good. I feel semi-bad saying it, but it sounds like karaoke. I understand she's probably trying to go for a young vibe, but I don't like it. And none of the judges liked it. Simon just said that there's zero chance of her getting through.

AAAACKKKK! NPH is totally in the audience!!! Now I wish I were there...

Anoop is up now. He's singing Angel of Mine by Monica. I grew up LOVING this song. He sings it well. I'm not swooning or anything, but he definitely sounds good. And he's lost that awkward feeling I think. He looks pretty comfortable on the stage. Paula's standing. She must love him. She straight up compared him to Brian McKnight. The other judges are torn. They like him still, but they didn't love the song choice.

Casey Carlson's turn. Singing Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by The Police. Love this song. And I kinda like her. She still reminds hubby and me of Mandy Moore. Even her singing. But she makes some weird faces... She's not great. I wouldn't be opposed to her getting through though. Kara is an idiot. She so wants to market her as bubblegum and is belittling her for not picking something "girly." And her and Paula are idiots because apparently all they can talk about is how pretty she is. Like that helps the sting of being told you aren't good.

Our roughneck Michael Sarver is up now. Singing I Don't Wanna Be by Gavin DeGraw. Good, but I don't know if he's great. He definitely looks comfortable on stage. He looks like he's having fun. Overall the judges were unsure of his song choice. But they like him so they're actually hoping that he gets into the top twelve based on votes.

Anne-Marie Boskovich is next. I liked her during auditions, but I thought it was stupid that they cared so much about her image back then. She's singing Natural Woman. She's pretty good. Once again, not sure if I'd call her great. It might be another bad song choice. There seems to be a lot of that going around. Judges are kind of split on her, but the agreement is that it's another bad song choice. If they're so picky, maybe the song choices should be more limited.

EEEEE!!! Trailer for X-Men Origins: Wolverine! I put everything down to watch it. Greatness. I don't know if I can wait until May 1.

Now is Stephen Fowler who forgot the words during Hollywood week and still made it through. He's going to sing Rock With You by Michael Jackson. Not great. Kind of tame, kind of karaoke. He's not bad, but he isn't amazing. Judges weren't impressed. At all. But actually, Simon pointed out (and I agree) that the musicians weren't too great tonight either.

Tatiana is next... ugh. Hubby has mentioned at least five times tonight how much he cannot stand her. She's singing Saving All My Love by Whitney Houston. If I listen without looking at the television, she's good. But then I look up and she's trying to make eyes at the camera constantly and it irritates me. Kara is pointing out that Tatiana is like a roller coaster ride. Good point. Maybe we should make sure she's medicated... HAA! Simon just called her a "complete and utter drama queen." So perfect. The judges don't sound sure about whether or not they like her.

So, tangent here, but I think we should play a drinking game. Every time Tatiana mentions this being "her dream" you take a drink. I guarantee you will be drunk every episode.

Ahhhh... last of the night is Danny Gokey. Better get my phone ready. He's singing Hero by Mariah Carey. First thought is, "Eek!" Why choose Mariah? Ohhh but he's doing gooood. Have I mentioned I love him yet tonight? Because I do. And Paula is already standing before he even got to the chorus. He is KILLING it. But I could be biased. *sigh* Okay, even Kara is going NUTS for him. Randy just called him "the redeemer of the night." Kara called him "the hero." Paula just said "sold-out arenas." Simon of course has issues and can only call him good, not anything more. If you want to vote for him (I'm assuming you text like me), text "VOTE" to 5712. I'll be voting as soon as I hit "publish."

My two faves of the night? Easily Danny and Alexis. Ricky was pretty good too. But everyone else really wasn't as good. Wait, Anoop was good. So those are my four picks. But I guess only three get through tomorrow? We'll find out what's up tomorrow night...

No comments: