Saturday, February 7, 2009

Books, Books, Books

I'm a bookworm. This is a widely known fact in my family. As a kid my mom would take my brother and I to the library over the summer. I would check out seven or eight books, go home, and disappear into my room until they were finished. Usually around a week I think (right, mom?). Then I'd beg her to take us back.

High school hit and I got annoyed at having to read books for class. They interfered with what I wanted to read. At that time I was all about Stephen King. I may have not read some class assignments... But summers were always my time to get lost in book after book. We had a pool so I would go out after lunch with a book and lay next to the pool or on a raft and read while I tanned. I still love to do it.

I've gotten back into an insane amount of reading since I finished school in December. Part of it came from not having to deal with homework anymore. Part of it is that I missed reading before bed. And the other part came from some of my students. I had one in particular that loved to tell me what she was reading about. It reminded me of me in a way. I was really amused by it. And she actually got me into a new author and series. So ever since I left school I've been reading. And for those of you that want some easy reads (or even something for your kids) I thought I'd list some of what I've been reading...

The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. I discovered these when a coworker and I decided to read the first one to our class in after-school program. He took it home and read it then passed it to me before we made a decision. And I thought it was fun. The whole series deals with a rich, 12-year-old genius. There's also a fantasy element with fairies, goblins and other creatures. But it's not your little girl Disney-type fantasy. The fairies have major technology. I've read the first few books more than once. I definitely say try it out on your kids.

I just read As Long As We Both Shall Live by Lurlene McDaniel. Actually, I finished it last night. Crying for the last twenty pages or so. If you're female you may have heard of this author. Or not, I feel like I'm the only person who knows about her. I read a TON of her books when I was younger. Basically... she writes about death. Don't go thinking I'm morbid! She writes a lot about young people with terminal illnesses (cystic fibrosis, types of cancer, etc.) because her own son was diagnosed with leukemia. I was reading these books in fourth or fifth grade and my mom still questions what she was thinking and how I managed to turn out okay. They're reeeeeally good though. And quick, easy reads. And I dare you to read one without crying.

I finally started Twilight this morning. I've had it sitting here for about a month now, borrowed it from my mother-in-law. Finally I picked it up last night and put it on my nightstand, intending to start it tonight. But I couldn't go back to sleep when hubby left this morning so I started reading. And before I knew it, I was 200 pages in. Sure it's not the best writing ever, but I'm loving the story. And it's totally taking me back to the goofy high school emotions. The way I'm flying through it though I either need to get to the library or find someone with a copy of number two.

Wow, that ended up a lot longer than I meant it to. I could have given you backstory in it's very own entry. Expect more book reviews/recommendations in the future. Maybe not so much reviews, I don't proclaim to be an expert.

I'm off to read some more I think. The weather lately has been perfect for curling up with a book and big blanket.

2 comments:

MalContent said...

Your youthful reading habits totally reminded me of my own childhood.

The weather's been good for that here, too. It was full-on cats and dogs last night. I got drenched and my hair went all Napoleon Dynamite on me.

I actually considered picking up the Artemis Fowl books when you recommended it to me years ago. I might still someday.

Andrea said...

Hahaha, wow, I used to read until my eyeball would practically fall out of my head...I miss those days ya. I finally finished Breaking Dawn last night with a little Mello-pupper sleeping on my lap, it was a pretty good series I admit. Nothing terribly epic, but I did enjoy it.

I would recommend something, but chances are you've already read anything I would suggest, plus I can't seem to think outside the realms of my Special Populations and Career Management books right now. It took a good year or so of my friend Jenni dogging me to get me to read Twilight, so, there ya have it.

If you are however delving into more childlike reads The Thief Lord, by Cornelia Funke is pretty good. I read that a few years back.


-hahahaha @ James and his Napoleon hair-