Wednesday, February 25, 2009

American Idol - Second 12

We're onto the second group of twelve tonight. After being mostly disappointed last week I didn't have high hopes tonight either. So let's see how it all went...

First up was Jasmine Murray. She's still in high school and has kind of been a judge favorite leading up to tonight. She sang Love Song by Sara Bareilles. And she wasn't as good as I thought she would be. Randy called her pitchy, Kara said it wasn't her best. Paula agreed. And Simon said he wasn't sure she was ready. I call bad song choice. This did not bode well for the rest of the night.

Next was Matt Giraud. I've liked him up to now. He was GREAT during Hollywood week when he sang Georgia On My Mind. He made hubby sit up and take notice. Tonight he sang Viva la Vida by Coldplay. I'm not a big fan of Coldplay, but I tried not to let that sway my thoughts. I didn't have to. He just didn't do it well. I was really hoping for better. Kara said it didn't show his best, Simon said it was verging on terrible. Randy and Paula blamed bad song choice. *sigh* Somebody help these people with song choice!!!

Jeanine Vailes was next. Who? Oh, she's apparently been flying under the radar. I sure don't remember her. She did This Love by Maroon 5. LOVE that song. Sadly, didn't love her. She was kind of all over the place with it. I was disappointed. The best Paula could come up with was "great legs." Simon called it terrible and painful. Randy said the best part was the end, when she stopped. Kara called it overdone. I totally agree.

Ugh, next up was Nick Mitchell. I should say it was Norman Gentle because that's the alter ego he decided to go with tonight. Idiot. He sang that You're Gonna Love Me song that everyone on the show has done by now. He barely tried singing and relied mostly on his "comedy." Simon is praying he doesn't go to the next round (I second that!). Randy called him entertaining but said the vocals were not happening. Kara and Paula said essentially the same thing. Can he go home now???

Following that was redemption in the form of Allison Iraheta. I actually don't remember her from auditions. She sang Alone by Heart. HOLY COW. She rocked it. Slightly reminds me of Kelly Clarkson in looks and in voice. I loved her. Randy said she "blew it out the box." Kara loved her. Paula said she could sing the telephone book. Simon called her the best tonight. I will totally be voting for her.

Kris Allen was next. He did Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson. I winced at that announcement, MJ is harder than these singers seem to realize. He was good though. He got better as he kept going, his beginning was rough. Kara didn't like it, but the other three did.

Megan Corkrey was up next. I remember her from auditions, her voice was super unique. She did Girl Put Your Records On by Corrine Bailey Rae. Love that song. I liked her. She doesn't look totally comfortable up there yet, but she sounded good. All four judges like her. Simon even said that he hopes America votes for her.

Then we came to welder Matt Breitzke. I like him. He's just likable. He sang If You Could Only See by Tonic. Oh that song brings back high school memories. And I loved his singing. He looked a little uncomfortable, but I liked him. The judges thought he was boring. It was pretty unanimous that he should have chosen something else. I disagree.

Next up was Jesse Langseth. There's something kind of weird about her that I can't put my finger on. She sang Betty Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes. I wasn't too impressed. I mean, she's got a good voice, but the performance felt mumbly. Paula was the only one who loved it, saying that she's been captivating this whole time. Simon decided she was forgettable. Randy and Kara were feeling so-so.

Kai Kalama followed Jesse. He's the one who slightly reminds me of my brother. He sang What Becomes of the Broken Hearted by Jimmy Ruffin. I was a little disappointed. Mostly with his song choice. He sang well, but I wanted him to choose something more modern. The judges totally agreed with the bad song choice. Randy called him safe and Simon called him forgettable.

After Kai was Mishavonna Henson. She's cute. I've been enjoying her. She sang Drops of Jupiter by Train. Another song I love. She KILLED it. She even looked good. None of the judges were super impressed though. They like her, but didn't like her song choice. The general agreement was that she was too serious and grown up. Um, hello? Remember last week when Stevie tried to be young for the judges? Yeah, that really worked out well.

Finishing the night was Adam Lambert. He's a bit drama-ish. But he's in musical theater. Has been since he was a kid. He did Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones. I got worried. But then he started singing. And I really enjoyed him. Really. He's seriously talented. Paula, Simon and Kara liked him and are pretty amazed with his vocal abilities. Simon was torn because there were moments that were excruciating, and other moments that were brilliant.

So my three choices tonight? I had a tough time. Adam is hands-down the guy I choose tonight. My hands-down girl is Allison. My third... I had a totally tough time. But I think I'm going with Megan. This group ended up much better than last week's group though. And I'm thankful for that.

No comments: