Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Birthday

March went from having two birthdays (before I met hubby) to six. Insanity.
But this birthday is one of the original ones. It's my mommy's birthday today! Don't worry Mom, I won't tell them how old you are. That'll be next year. hee hee

Mom and I are too much alike at times. That obviously made for dramatic teenage years and even occasional annoyance now. Thankfully I had some of my dad to balance it so we've made it past everything and are pretty close.

My crafty gene? From mom. My good listener gene? From mom. My laugh, my smile, my profile, my squinty eyes when I smile, my Flintstone feet, my general proportions of my body... all from mom. Oh, and I can't forget the procrastinator gene. That's almost synonymous with the last name Josey (mom's maiden name).

I don't know if there's a defining story about my mom. But I have a recent favorite. When we were getting ready for the wedding, we of course went out together to find a dress for mom. We went to a shop downtown one afternoon and she tried a BUNCH of dresses on. Probably five times as many as I had to try on to find my dress. But it was fun. Then we found one that I LOVED. She put it on and stepped up on the little riser in front of the mirror. It was totally glamorous and probably too much for the wedding, but wow. My mom looked hot. Well, the guy who had been helping us saw her in it and HAD to go get the owner. No one had tried the dress on yet and he couldn't wait for the owner to see it on mom since it looked so perfect. The owner came out and was amazed. Then flat out refused to believe that she was my mom! He couldn't believe she was old enough to have a daughter getting married. Then a random shopper joined our little crowd and gushed. It was the highlight of our day. We still laugh. Mom had a flippin' audience she looked so good.

Then she found another dress. I was bummed at first, but she rocked it. One of hubby's cousins thought she was my stepmom or even a friend, because there was no way she was old enough to be my mom.

So I give you a picture of her from the wedding today. And I sit here crossing my fingers that I look that good when I'm her age. Happy birthday mom. Love you.

No comments: