Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol - Top 11

It was Grand Ole Opry night. Which I was a little worried about. I was a bit nervous that someone would butcher Brad Paisley.

Seeing the intro with all these country singers on stage was cool. And Randy Travis was their mentor!!! The old-fashioned part of me really likes him.

Michael Sarver -Ain't Goin' Down Til the Sun Comes Up by Garth Brooks - Okay, he pretty much killed it. This is a seriously fast song. And a classic as far as country goes. I really liked him. Randy didn't think it brought anything new as far as vocals go. Kara missed the "big notes." Haha, LOVE Michael. He said, "Country music's about havin' fun!" Paula enjoyed seeing him have fun. Simon (who is NOT a fan of country in the first place) said he couldn't understand a word he was saying and called it clumsy.

Allison Iraheta - Blame It On Your Heart by Patty Loveless - She rocked it. No question. She totally had fun and she was amazing. Kara thought she could sing the alphabet and sing it well. Paula thought she was amazing, but rambled about trying new sounds. Simon called her "rock-solid verging on precocious." Randy thought it was "dope."

Kris Allen - To Make You Feel My Love by Garth Brooks - He sang without his guitar. I like him with his guitar. It was good, but it didn't stand out to me. Paula called it "honest and pure." Simon thought it was terrific. Randy liked it. Kara echoed everyone else.

Lil Rounds - Independence Day by Martina McBride - Lil said she was going to try and stay faithful to the country sound. She sounded pretty good. And she killed the chorus, but I figured she would. Martina McBride has some power that I figured Lil would match. Randy was unsure about it. Kara liked the chorus better than the verses. Paula said that "everything was going right" for her. Simon implied that it was really forced.

Adam Lambert - Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash - I loved Randy's reaction to Adam and to his song choice. The arrangement of it is different, slightly Middle Eastern sounding. I have to confess... and I'm ashamed to say it... but I liked it. It was nothing like the original (which I love), it was slightly emo, but I loved it all the same. I was glad hubby wasn't here watching with me, because he would hate it and tell me how ridiculous it is that I liked it. Kara thought it was strange, but she liked it. Paula loved it and took way too long to just get to that point. Simon made me die, "I think what Randy [Travis] was saying was, 'What the hell was that?'" He called it indulgent and horrific. Randy compared it to Nine Inch Nails if they did country. I would go more with My Chemical Romance.

Scott MacIntyre - Wild Angels by Martina McBride - He played piano. That always makes his performance even better. He sounded seriously good. I enjoyed him. Paula liked it, but thinks the piano is a bit of a crutch and a barrier to the audience. To which Scott jokingly responded, "We can move it closer." Simon disagreed with Paula about the piano. He also said he hasn't heard much variation in the songs. Randy said he hasn't seen the great vocals he knows he's capable of. Kara summarized everyone and told Scott to "up his game."

Alexis Grace - Jolene by Dolly Parton - Randy Travis loved her. And so did I. I kind of like the song anyway, and was interested to see just how she performed it (there are some seriously high notes to hit). But yeah, I enjoyed her. Randy didn't think it was a great performance. Kara said she "lost her edge." Paula liked it because it showed a different side to her vocals. Simon thought it was okay.

Danny Gokey - Jesus Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood - I can't think of Carrie Underwood without thinking of hubby, my brother, and my cousin talking about how hot she is a couple years ago. They sounded like a bunch of smitten little boys. So back to Danny... he was totally nervous and messing up right and left in practice with Randy. As much as I love Danny, I wasn't super impressed until he got to the chorus. I found the verses almost boring. But of course he delivered for the chorus. And I still love him. Kara basically said the same thing I did. Paula loved it and called him "brilliant." She also said that Carrie Underwood would go "not only approve but go out and buy that record." Simon was with Paula on the performance, but had issues with his clothes. What is it with Simon and the clothes this season? Randy was with Kara.

Anoop Desai - You Are Always On My Mind by Willie Nelson - Haha, Randy Travis said, "Heck, that was good." Holy crap. He was good. Like, I could almost crush on him he was so good. I really liked it. Paula said the song and performance "fit him like a glove." Simon said he "just managed to go from zero to hero." It was one of his favorites of the night. Randy said he really showed his vocal skills. Kara said he was the best performance of the night for her.

Megan Joy Corkrey - I Go Walking After Midnight by Patsy Cline - I kind of liked her. She slightly reminded me of Amy Winehouse. She had a couple rough spots that were possibly a result of her being sick. Apparently she has the flu. Randy was impressed. Kara called it the perfect song. Paula thought she was "fantastic." Simon loved her.

Matt Giraud - So Small by Carrie Underwood - He played the piano. And sounded reeeeeally good. I liked him. A lot. Kara loved him and gushed over him. Paula called him an "authentic performer." Simon said he hasn't gotten enough credit for his vocals yet and said he outsang Danny tonight. Randy said it was his favorite performance of the night.

So who was your favorite? I have to go with Allison. Anoop is right behind. But I'm not voting. I don't vote nearly enough times for it to make a difference, so why risk the carpal tunnel?

No comments: