Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dancing is BACK!

Yes, one of my favorites, Dancing With the Stars, returned last night. How stoked was I? Very. Of course as soon as the show started, my mom and I had to comment about how Samantha (the co-host) is looking FAR too skinny. She needs to eat a sandwich or three. Or five.

I caught the beginning at my mom's house. Which was a treat because my brother was there. So I got some commentary from him. The two of us cheered (loudly) when they introduced Steve-O and D.A.G.

The first dance was Lil Kim. Poor Derek Hough got partnered with her. My brother made the comment, "Oh, well, now he has herpes." That earned the laughs from the rest of us. Her dancing wasn't bad. I actually hoped she would be awful. Now I just have to hope that the voting public will be disturbed at her music and image away from the show.

Belinda Carlisle was next. She's dancing with... Jonathan. Had to think to remember his name. Mom compared her to Priscilla Presley in the amount of work that they've both had done. She also wasn't great yet, but what do you expect? It's the first week.

LT got partnered with Edyta this season - always a good thing. Edyta does great work with her partners. Sadly they weren't great yet. But I have high hopes for him. The football players just tend to do well. And again, he's partnered with Edyta. That's points in his favor.

I'm so happy I didn't have to wait for the next contestant long... it was time for Steve-O!!! Knoxville and Wee Man were there to watch. Hilarious to me that they have to blur out some of his more... questionable tattoos. I laughed because I know exactly what they are. But his dancing... well, actually not horrible. He was definitely stiff. But you could see that he was at least trying. I'm voting for him tonight. You should do the same.

Gilles Marini was up next. He's partnered with Cheryl, who I kind of love. I guess his "stardom" is the result of being nekkid in the Sex and the City movie. Yay for him. He was actually pretty good. If people vote for him he'll be around for a good while.

And next up was Chuck Wicks with Julianne. They're super cute together. I'm all for them as a couple. Last night they looked like they were going to prom. It was way cute. And Chuck is kind of a goof, which makes them amusing. They had a waltz (my fave) and looked REALLY good. He didn't look totally comfortable and awesome, but good for a first performance.

Now we found out one of the replacements for the two injured stars who dropped out. Holly Madison. Yeah, that Holly Madison of Girls Next Door. She got partnered with a new dancer, Dmitry. He's totally from So You Think You Can Dance. And I heart him more than a little. He makes me sigh. She looked like she was just walking around, he looked GOOOOOD. Is there a way I can vote for Dmitry and not Holly?

And then we found out the other replacement. Melissa from The Bachelor. I didn't get into it this season, so I'm not biased for her. But she didn't dance next.

We got Ty Murray with Chelsea Hightower (also from the other dancing show). He was so stiff in their practice sessions. It was cute. Actually, his dancing reminded me of hubby's. He did pretty decent. He was definitely stiff and nervous, but it was a cute stiff and nervous. I liked him anyway. Because you could tell he was legitimately trying.

Shawn Johnson was up next and she's dancing with Mark Ballas this season. I love Mark! He's just so cute! They're pretty cute together. They had a waltz last night and I think she killed it. Of course being a gymnast is probably a HUGE help. But they were great. She'll be around for a while because I don't think people are over her cuteness from the Olympics.

And next we came to Steve Wozniak. With Karina. Who made me laugh when she said she can make anyone sexy. Good luck with that this season... Hubby wins COMMENT OF THE NIGHT. "He totally looks like the Cowardly Lion!" Epic win. But on to the dancing, he actually didn't suck. He wasn't great, but he didn't suck.

Sadly I realized that David Alan Grier is best known for In Living Color. I did NOT enjoy that show. He has Kym this season. Poor thing can't tell when he's joking or when he's serious. I loved it. Hubby and I were laughing the whole time they were showing the practice sessions. Even his serious face made us laugh throughout the dance. There were a few stumbles, but he actually looked pretty good. He has some good lines.

Finally the show got to Denise Richards. Her particular makeup person should be fired. She looked trannylicious as Perez would say. She lucked out and got Maksim this season. I loooove him. Karina better watch out, I wouldn't put it past Denise to put the moves on him. So on to the dance... Not great. There were some points where she looked like she just decided, "If I look cute maybe they can't tell I'm lost." She was really stiff, or maybe it looked worse because she was with Maks, who is perfect. Haha... they scored a 6-6-6 which hubby called "fitting." Can you tell we're not really fans of Denise in my household?

So Melissa from the Bachelor got proposed to and then dumped on television. Sucks to be her. I can already tell she's going to get some serious pity votes. She lucked out and got Tony. Coolest older dancer on the show. And he totally sang "Moon River" while they were dancing. Love Tony. Love that song. The dance was actually not too bad. She had a short time to practice (two days), but she did well for the short time. The stupid part of all this was the bagging on the dude who was the bachelor. We get it, that's the only reason we know her. Let's get on with life.

No elimination this week. Everyone gets to dance next Monday. Then there's an elimination next Tuesday. Where apparently the bottom two dance for survival. That should be interesting. Tomorrow, we have Idol. See you then.

No comments: