Tuesday, March 3, 2009

American Idol - Last 12

Last group. Let's jump on in.

Von Smith was first. He sang something by Marvin Gaye. I think. Shows you how much I'm paying attention at this point. He did alright. I'm not a huge fan, there's something weird about him. But he did well enough to get votes probably. Randy liked him. Kara did too. Paula did too. Simon said he reminds him of Clay Aiken. I sure wouldn't take it as a compliment...

Taylor Viafanua was second. She sang If I Ain't Got You by Alicia Keys. Not so good. I mean, mostly good, but there were definitely parts that sounded rough. She didn't make me want to vote for her. Kara wants "more personality." She annoys me. Paula is "perplexed" because apparently she sang the same song during Hollywood week. Simon mocked Kara and pretty much called her forgettable. Randy said about the same thing as the girls.

Alex Wagner-Trugman was third. He's always been awkward, but I've kind of liked him. He sang That's Why They Call It the Blues by Elton John. He was good, but I think I wanted him to be better. Actually, he seemed like he got a little worse as it went on. Not sure he got my vote tonight. Paula called him entertaining. Simon didn't enjoy his singing and called it "a bit stupid." Randy didn't really like it. Kara also said nothing helpful or worthwhile.

Arianna Afsar was next. She sang The Winner Takes It All by Abba. Interesting choice. Honestly, she wasn't so great. I was disappointed. I doubt she'll get in tomorrow. Simon called it a mistake. And awful. Randy wants her to show her youth. Kara called it depressing and it didn't match her personality. Paula told her she had some bright moments, but the song was old-fashioned.

Ju'not Joyner followed. He sang Hey There Delilah by The Plain White Tees. I felt like I heard this song a hundred times during Hollywood week. But his version was good. I liked it. Not enough for me to pick up my phone though. I'm seriously struggling with caring about the show this year... anyway. Randy loved it. Kara liked his "spin" on the song. Paula liked it. Simon said it was better than he'd expected.

Kristen McNamara was up next. She sang Give Me One Reason by Tracy Chapman. She sounded good. Her singing always throws me because it doesn't match the semi-ditzy air she has about her. Kara liked her, but of course decided to critique song choice. Paula liked her. Simon called it an odd song choice, but a good voice. Randy agreed.

And next we got Nathaniel Marshall. Hubby's fave. Haha... he's such a drama queen. And he totally sang MEATLOAF! I died a little. But he was pretty good, I have to admit. Simon thought it was "verging on excruciating." Randy can't picture what kind of album he would have. Kara wants to see another side of him. Paula likes him, but didn't love the song choice.

Felicia Barton was next. She actually got in because someone got disqualified. She sang No One by Alicia Keys. I don't remember her, but she was good. She hit a couple rough spots, but they were very minor. Paula liked her. Simon liked her, but didn't love her. Randy thought it was "hot." Kara liked her. If I vote I'll vote for her.

Scott MacIntyre was up afterward. He's the blind dude (for lack of a better name). He sang something I didn't catch the name of. I didn't recognize it. He was good. Not wonderful, but good. Randy liked him and said he hit the big notes. Kara loved him because of his passion. Paula said that he's "blessed us" with his gift. Simon wasn't crazy about the song, but Scott is "growing on him." I may vote for him if I vote. Oh wait, he semi-mocked Seacrest by suggesting they high-five. I'll definitely vote for him.

Next up was Kendall Beard. She sang This One's For the Girls by Martina McBride. Not my favorite song. I'm not sure why you would want to do a Martina song. She has a HUGE voice. Kendall did alright thought. Not spectacular. Kara liked her overall. I think. She's really horrible at letting people know what she thinks. Stupid Paula complimented her outfit first (seeing as how this is a fashion show and everything). She liked her. Simon didn't really like it. He called it shrilly towards the end. Randy's issue was that the vocals weren't her best.

Jorge Nunez was next. He sang Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me by Elton John. Or should I say Elton Juan? Haha, was that racist? I was prepared to set fire to him if he butchered it, I love that song. But he actually did pretty good. Like, won-my-vote good. Paula loved him. Simon asked Paula if she "hearts him." He also liked him, to my surprise. Randy liked him. And Kara said he was "born to sing." He was so happy with what they told him that he lapsed into Spanish while he was talking. It was cute.

Last of the night was Lil Rounds. She sang something by Mary J. Blige. I recognized it, just couldn't give you the exact title. It was good, but I really wasn't too impressed. Actually, she seemed to get better as she kept singing. To me anyway. Simon called her brilliant. She was his favorite tonight. Randy loved her. Kara loved her too. Paula did too.

Soooo, who to vote for... well, the judge favorite was Lil Rounds, but she wasn't mine. I loved Scott. And Jorge was good tonight too. But so was Ju'not. Well, crap, that's three boys and only two can possibly get in. But girls? Well, I didn't love any of them. Lil was good, but so was Felicia. I may not vote for a girl tonight at all.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I may just peek at the interwebz again and skip the actual show. I've had quite enough of the judges and all their useless talk already.

No comments: