Saturday, August 9, 2008

My grandma's house

My grandma's house is haunted.


I don't know if anyone knows for sure when it started. But here's my best attempt at explaining what I know.


This is the house my dad's family grew up in. Grandma and Grandpa got it built for them. It was their first house. The kids grew up in it, all of us grandkids have spent time in it. So there's no story about a burial ground or previous owners. Sorry.


The first story I heard about was a photo. I wish I had it to scan in here, but I don't. They periodically lose it over there. Then it resurfaces and I never get a copy. Next time I swear I'm going to. Anyway, the photo is taken one Christmas eve. I don't think I was born yet. So let's just call it 1980. Give or take a year. The picture is of my mom, dad, and uncle Tim sitting together. When you walk into the house the whole wall to your left is covered with 12"x12" mirrors. They're sitting so you can kind of see the mirrors on the left of the picture. Well, in the picture, right in the mirror, you can see a face. Not like a reflection of someone, a face that doesn't look like anyone we know. It's not the flash, it's not a reflection, I've taken pictures in that spot to try and make it happen again. I've played with the lights, nothing. There is just a face of someone/something in that photo. To my knowledge it has never showed up in another photo. And like I said, I've tried.


All four of the kids (my dad and his siblings) have had the same experience. They wake up, at night or during a nap, and feel pressure on their chest. Only on their chest, like someone is sitting on it. This isn't a constant occurance, but it has happened more than once to all of them. Then it will suddenly go away. I'm not sure if it has happened randomly while they are awake. I know for sure when they are sleeping though. Not the most convincing evidence ever for ya, but I had to share.


Then there's grandma and my late great aunt's story. I never got to hear aunt Sylvia tell it, but my grandma isn't the hysterical type to make crap up so I'll believe her anyway. When the house was still relatively new, Grandpa's sister, Sylvia, and her husband, Raymond (we call him Bert), came to visit a lot. The four were close. So aunt Sylvia came over one day and she and grandma dyed her hair. Grandpa and uncle Bert went off on some errand while they did this. The story goes that aunt Sylvia went to the bathroom to rinse her hair and while her head was in the sink she felt someone come in the bathroom. She picked her head up and no one was there. But she was sure someone had come in. So she yelled for my grandma. Grandma comes in and Sylvia starts to tell her what she felt and they both stopped talking and felt uncomfortable. Grandma said that she felt like someone was in there too. So they started to get scared. But when they turned to the door they were frozen. They just couldn't move. Grandma said it felt like the were glued to their spot. They were both crying and finally Grandma grabbed my aunt Sylvia's hand and forced herself to run out the door. She said it was really hard to run, but they ran out the back door into the back yard. They were fine, but they started feeling like someone was trying to push or pull them back into the house. They were still crying and didn't know what to do so they ran out front and sat on the curb. Sat there and cried until Grandpa and uncle Bert came home. They went in the house and there was nothing wrong. They haven't felt anything else like that in the house, but Grandma still can tell you all about it.


Then there was another great aunt (I think she's my great aunt) who stayed at the house while she was in town one time.

No comments: