Monday, August 4, 2008

My ducks are Mexican

Our apartment complex has ducks. There's water features all over the complex and there are a ton of ducks wandering around. Sometimes you have to stop for them crossing the street. When we moved in back at the beginning of May there were ducklings everywhere. I was way excited about this. Who doesn't love baby animals?! The very first night we stayed here we woke up in the morning to hear baby ducks outside. We happen to have a little pond right off our back patio. Of course I was totally stoked to show my nephew the ducks. We feed them at least once when he stays here.

Well, I was disappointed because the babies started growing up and Tim said we probably wouldn't get any more last month. So this afternoon I'm in my living room and I hear the little "peep peep" of babies. I went outside and there was mom with three ducklings! Tiny ones, smaller than the palm of my hand. I promptly texted Tim, who was probably amused at my girliness.




So later they came to visit me again and the mom was being super loud. When I walked outside she swam right up to my patio so I assumed she wanted me to feed her. I went in to get tortillas since they're kind of old anyway and I should find something to do with them.



Well, the mom went to town. See her waiting in the background of the picture below? Every time I stopped throwing pieces she yelled at me. Loudly.



So I proceeded to sit there tearing up the tortillas into tiny pieces. I made some super tiny pieces for the little fuzzballs. The mom was almost up on my patio a couple times, but she wouldn't actually come through the railing.



There's my ducks (as my nephew says) eating their tortillas. They really liked it. So they have to be Mexican.



And here's a closer shot of my babies. I really want to catch the yellow one and keep him in my bathtub for a while. Or just hold him. I'd be fine with that too. I used to carry around the spring chicks at Tim's house too. Because they're just so damn fluffy!



So there ya go, my ducks. If you don't hear from me for a few days it's because the temptation was too great and I tried to grab the ducklings, resulting in some nipped fingers. :)

No comments: