Sunday, August 10, 2008

My family

So this has come up in discussion more than once. I think there are a total of four "normal" people in my family. This includes both sides. And only the generation of my parents. As far as my cousins go... well, more of us are normal I guess.


I think.


Hell, I don't know! Maybe we're all nuts! haha


My mom's parents are split now. But they have four daughters together. Four girls growing up together = insanity. They still tell stories about growing up. Like when Kathy (the youngest) was always picked on. Or they would make her do things by threatening to not play Barbies with her. Brenda (the oldest) was always the goody two shoes. They still laugh about that. My mom was the next oldest, and as far as I know she was the one who was the most normal. Although I'm sure there are stories I haven't been told... Glenda was next and she was the tomboy. If you messed with her sisters, Glenda would seriously hurt you. And I already mentioned Kathy. She was totally mommy's girl.


My grandpa told me a story about the girls growing up. He had a rule that only three boys at a time could visit. The way he tells it, three boys would come and visit on the porch, then hop on their bikes and leave. A few minutes later three different boys would show up and visit for a while. Meanwhile the first group would be riding around waiting for it to be "their turn" again. I died laughing when grandpa told me that. Of course my mom claims not to remember it. But I believe it. My mom and aunts were quite the popular ones in high school. The boys looooved them.


Then there's my dad's side.


For starters, my grandma's house is totally haunted. Which deserves a blog of it's own one day. (Note to self: blog about grandma's.) But grandma Ophie and grandpa Felix have four kids too. First was my uncle Tim, then dad, then Judie, then Sam.


Wanna hear something funny? My uncle Tim married my aunt Glenda. So their kids are my double cousins. And we totally look like siblings ourselves.


So uncle Tim and my dad were the interesting ones (not to mention possibly the most sane) in the family. And being boys, they did some stupid stuff as kids. My personal favorite it throwing darts at each other. Well, not at each other. But they used to sit across from each other against walls, then throw darts to see who could get closest to the head without actually hitting each other.


Okay, maybe they weren't sane then, but they are now. I promise.


Dad told me that his friends had a van and that one night they stole some oranges from an orchard and loaded the back of the van. Then proceeded to ride around throwing oranges. And laughing when they exploded in the street. Boys are dumb.


Oh, and I can't forget that Judie confessed to throwing hot dogs at the hookers downtown. Because, ya know, they just wanted a weiner.


Oh yeah, mom hit dad the first time she met him. Because she thought he was talking bad about one of her sisters.


And my parents are actually high school sweethearts. They started dating... junior year? But mom broke up with dad on Valentine's Day. Maybe that's where I get my evilness... then she dated some goofy lookin' guy until she got back together with my dad.


And my aunt Glenda used to date my stepfather-in-law. Yup. They broke up right after I was born. Scariest part? There's a picture somewhere of him holding me as a baby. I was so weirded out when I found out they used to date.


Somehow, between my parents and my six aunts and uncle, I think half of my hometown knows me. In high school I was always afraid to try and get away with stuff because someone they know might be around.


So that's a little about my family. And those are all old stories. I have newer ones that I'll share another time. They're so much better when they're told though. I don't know if you can really appreciate them fully unless you hear them told by the people who were involved.


I can't wait to have kids and add to the craziness. Someday.

No comments: