Saturday, August 23, 2008

Confession

It's time for another confession. Don't think less of me for this one.

I enjoy Britney Spears.

Yeah, I do. But before you accuse me of having bad taste, let me remind you that she hit it big while I was in high school. And it was cool seeing someone my age be successful. I never wanted to be her like some girls did, but I was a closet fan.

Because for some reason you can't like Britney (or boy bands or any other pop singer) without being judged. Which is pretty ridiculous. If you strive to be like that person then you may need help, but it's not a crime to enjoy the music.

Seriously, put on a Britney CD and try not to dance or tap your foot or something. It's difficult. Because even if it isn't the most original or creative sound on earth, it's catchy. I'm not comparing her to the Ramones or John Mayer or anything, but for that genre, it's enjoyable.

Was I waiting for a comeback after she divorced her husband? No. Was I counting the days to a new album? No. But I hoped she would succeed when she finally gave it another shot. Then came the award show on MTV. And the train wreck that was her performance. I felt bad, but also laughed at it. Because some people can only be that bad if they try. It was bad. I watched the video a few times, posted it in a myspace bulletin, laughed at the commentary by bloggers...

But I hope she can do better next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not possible for me to think less of you.






Wait, that didn't quite sound right...

*grin*