Monday, May 31, 2010

It's Not About the Burgers

Today is Memorial Day here in the States.

For kids it's day off of school.

For a lot of grown ups it's a day off of work.

For just about everyone it's the official kick-off day for summer. The perfect day to jump back in the pool, bust out the grill, and make some burgers.

I'm just here to remind everyone, it's not about the burgers.

Today is a day to think about our war veterans. Specifically to remember those who died to give us many of the rights and freedoms we have at the moment. There are plenty of people who don't support war in general. There are plenty of people who don't support our troops. I'm not one of those. I rarely get political/religious/personal on here, but days like today earn it.

I stand behind every one of my family, friends, and acquaintances who are in the military. If someone gets sent overseas, I'm praying for their safe return. If any of their loved ones needed help with something while they were gone, I would offer it up. Isn't that the least anyone can do for someone who is putting their life on the line for the country we live in? For you personally?

So take just a minute today to appreciate what we have, and the men and women who fought to make it this way. Even if you don't know anyone personally, just think about it. I'm not asking you to go to a cemetery, or a memorial, or anything out of the normal day. Just stop and think. And give a silent (or loud) thanks.

No comments: