Monday, November 10, 2008

A is for...

Okay, so I saw this idea of doing a letter and relating it to me. So those will be my Monday blogs for the next twenty-six weeks.

A is for Ashley.

Yeah, that's my name. You all know that. But what not everyone may know is just how popular the name was in the eighties. I was born in 1981, and at the time I think the name was original. My mom didn't mean to give me a name that every other girl would have by the time I reached high school. This is evidenced by the fact that no matter how many other Ashleys I come across I am always the oldest. Ashleys older than me are a rarity.

At the church I went to, there were six of us that attended regularly at some point over a span of about four years. Six Ashleys. Do you have any idea how rough it was to even go by our first names after that? We all started answering to our last names. It was just easier. But of course there were always the boys who would call out, "Ashley!" Yeah, they were doing it just because they thought it was funny to see three or four heads turning at once.

I discovered something about Ashleys. I love all of them. We're pretty much the same people. It's like, being given the name makes you instantly awesome. The boys figured that out too. Two different guys dated three of us. They just couldn't get enough of us Ashleys. Actually, one of those guys went on to date a fourth Ashley, but she didn't go to our church so I can't speak for her awesomeness.

Seeing as how A is for Ashley, we could assume that A is also for awesome, aunt, analytical... a plethora of other things. But I'll stick with the story about my name.

Now I challenge my other blogging friends to try the alphabet. Can ya do it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That may be true of Ashleys in your part of the world, but I can tell you for absolute certain that I've met no Ashleys around here who compare.

So it must also be a geographical thing.

Anonymous said...

PS: I might just take you up on that challenge, btw. But I'd probably have to start my own Blogger thing. Since I'm actually trying to keep my MySpace blogs relatively uncluttered.