Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mmmm... soup

So to prove I can cook, I'm posting my first ever recipe on this blog. I cooked dinner Monday night and had been wanting soup since it cooled down recently. I got the recipe from my grandma, who apparently pulled it from a magazine within the last month. I couldn't begin to tell you which magazine though, so if you happen to know, feel free to leave me a comment so I can give credit where it's due.

According to the mag, it's called Southwestern Chicken Soup. But to me it tastes like chicken enchiladas with green sauce. So I'll change it's name. Let's just call it Green Enchilada Soup. Although I'm sure the "green" part would dissuade some people... Here's the recipe as I copied it, my adjustments are in parentheses.

For soup:
1 12-oz. jar salsa verde (I used a full 16-oz. jar)
3 cups cooked chicken pieces (I probably used 4 cups, about a whole roasted chicken from the store)
1 15-oz. cannellini beans, drained (WTF are those? I used a can of pintos)
3 cups chicken broth (I put four bouillon cubes in 3.5 cups of water)
1 tsp. ground cumin
(I also added some minced onion and green onion)

For garnish:
chopped green onions
sour cream
tortilla chips, broken up
mozzarella cheese

Empty the salsa into a large saucepan. Cook for 2 minutes over medium-high heat. Add chicken, beans, broth, and cumin (and onions for my adaptation). Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve it up and garnish.

It smells AWESOME while cooking. Tim walked up to the door and could smell it. And now, as promised, some pictures...

The finished soup and the garnishes...

And here's Tim's with sour cream and mine without...

Looks pretty awesome huh? It was. I may change it a little more next time. Add a second kind of bean. It's seriously good. And it's not some weak, thin soup. It'll totally fill you up. Give it a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Impressive! I am waiting for my invite!