Wednesday, March 9, 2011

American Idol - Top 13

Hey.

So I'm gonna be real with you here and it may be a TMI, but it's my blog so I can do stuff like that. Upon writing this I am super tired and crampy. Thank you PMS. I don't know that my heart was really in it tonight, so I'm not overflowing with comments.

Just warnin' ya.

So let's go. Top 13. They picked songs by their own idols. I like this concept, it tells you a little more about the contestants.

First up, Lauren. Her idol is Shania Twain (reeeally?) so she sang "Any Man of Mine." I could do without hearing that song ever again as I never particularly enjoyed Shania. But Lauren made it bearable. She sounded good, but not outstanding. She did seem to leave the judges wanting more though. Steven Tyler said that he wished for more "kickass." Safe tomorrow? Likely.

Next was Casey. My hairy boyfriend. My brother (who does not watch Idol and has a pretty strong distaste for the show and it's premise in the first place) didn't know what to think of him. There was mocking and I may or may not have threatened him. Casey picked "With a Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker. He actually made my mom utter the words, "I heart him." I giggled. But I also agree. So did the judges. My favorite words were from Steven Tyler who said he's a "rainbow of talent, a plethora of passion." Safety almost guaranteed.

After that was Ashthon. She chose "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" by Diana Ross. One word reaction: meh. After that performance I announced to the room that her wild card should have gone to Robbie. Mom agreed. The judges liked it though, even though they hinted that she could have given them more. Safety status tomorrow? Bottom three. (Are they still doing it that way? I'm assuming they are.)

Fourth spot went to Paul. Oh Paul... I wasn't thrilled. He chose "Come Pick Me Up" by Ryan Adams (who is only relevant in my household because he married Mandy Moore... hubby loves her). And when he started we found ourselves looking at each other saying, "Uhhh." Yeah, it wasn't great. I still love his voice, but the song just wasn't good to me. Even Jennifer mentioned that she doesn't know the song and that she hopes America "gets it." Bad sign. He could be bottom three tomorrow.

Pia followed Paul with Celine Dion's "All By Myself." That girl has some serious pipes. I enjoyed her. She left Jennifer almost speechless. THAT'S how good she was. She's staying tomorrow night FOR SURE.

James came up next. And we went from Judas Priest last week to Paul McCartney this week. He picked "Maybe I'm Amazed" and I was pleasantly surprised. I loved hearing him just sing and not shout much. The judges agreed with Randy saying that he loved this "softer side" of James. He's totes in tomorrow night.

Haley followed him up with "Blue." I laughed because she named LeAnn Rimes as the artist and hubby was quick to correct the television and say, "ACTUALLY Patsy Cline did it first." Even funnier, when I was writing that little tidbit in my notebook I started to write "Patsy Swine" because that's what my mother-in-law named one of her pigs a few years ago. Anyway... I loved Haley. I already enjoy the song and I think it was a perfect choice for her. Jennifer and Steven Tyler enjoyed her, but Randy decided it was a "little boring, a little sleepy." Whatevs Randy. I think she'll be safe tomorrow.

Commercial break and hubby and I headed home as quickly as possible. Before the break Ryan mentioned that Jacob would be singing R. Kelly. In the car I told hubby, "I would bet an insane amount of money that it's 'I Believe I Can Fly.' Betcha. I'm gonna laugh so hard if I'm right."

Jacob's turn... "I Believe I Can Fly." Points to me, cackling on the couch. Yet another song I don't enjoy, but his voice sounded good. I'm always afraid he's going to have an aneurysm or something when he sings though. Judges loved him. Of course. My guess: safe tomorrow.

Next up was Thia. She chose "Smile" by Michael Jackson. I liked the beginning. She has a good voice for just singing, not getting too crazy. I didn't love the arrangement when it got jazzy or whatever. She sounds better simple. The judges pretty much agreed with me. Jennifer threw in that she sings like an angel. Safety tomorrow: pretty sure she'll be safe.

Stefano's turn. He sang "Lately" by Stevie Wonder. As much as I love him, I didn't love this song. He started off a little shaky, but he got better. The arrangement did not. I just couldn't get with it. The judges loved him though. Not sure how the voters did. He could be in trouble tomorrow.

After Stefano, Karen came up. She picked "I Could Fall In Love" by Selena. I cracked up when I saw her outfit. TOTALLY fashioned after the purple one that Selena wore. Ya know, the one Jennifer wore in the movie that made her bootie look LARGE. She was good, but I didn't think it was as good as the original. Or different enough to NOT compare the two. The judges didn't love it either. She's another maybe tomorrow night.

Scotty followed Karen. He chose "The River" by Garth Brooks. Good song. Good choice. Good Scotty. It makes me laugh because if you close your eyes it's like listening to a man sing, but when he quits singing and he's just listening to the judges he looks like such a baby! The judges loved him by the way. So does my mom, which amuses me because she HATES country music. Seriously. He'll be safe tomorrow night. Surely you heard the screams for that boy.

Closer tonight was Naima. She sang "Umbrella" by Rihanna. I was thinking she was good, but not great then she busted out with some straight-up reggae for a minute. Favorite part. Better than the rest of the song for me. Also her dance moves were a bit distracting. The judges said she was a little pitchy, but Steven Tyler still called her "crazy good." I don't know if it was enough to win people over. She could be bottom three tomorrow.

So there you have it. My thoughts. I think Ashthon stands the biggest chance at going home tomorrow. She was too bland tonight. We shall see.

No comments: