Friday, May 22, 2009

It's Called an Opinion People

So last night when the two male dancers danced together on So You Think You Can Dance, my mom knew someone was going to make a stink. And sure enough, GLAAD didn't disappoint.

They are now calling Nigel Lythgoe "homophobic" and saying he, along with Fox, needs to apologize to the gay and lesbian community.

Perez Hilton has a story here. Complete with video of exactly what Nigel said last night.

Here's the thing. GLAAD is calling for people to tell Fox that Nigel was wrong. But listen to what he says. There is nothing expressed except for his own personal opinion. Last time I checked, that was still legal. Although with the constant whining we hear from some "rights groups" that is quickly going out the window.

So if GLAAD can demand an apology for what I see as an opinion, I say we should be able to write in and stand up for personal opinions. I already emailed the address that Perez Hilton provided. If you are tired of people being "offended" and "attacked" because we are all individuals with our own opinions, take five minutes to email and let them know that Nigel was not in the wrong.

Contact Information courtesy of GLAAD, via Perez Hilton:

Erica Keane
Vice President, Media Relations
Fox Broadcasting Company
(212) 301-3613
erica.keane@foxtv.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mal said...

Wow, you got yourself an anonymous bigot comment. You're moving up to the big leagues! Ha ha!

As for the blog itself: Oh brother. Such drama. Not you, these other people. But then again, even I can't really throw stones when it comes to knee-jerk reactions, right?

On the other hand, at least I see it as the shortcoming it is.

Typhoid Ashley said...

Dear Anonymous Commenter,
I had to delete your comment because while I think this situation is slightly ridiculous, I DO NOT condone hurtful language. Or targeting homosexuals in general. Thanks, and can anyone else keep it clean?

Insomniac Mal said...

Hey so sorry to double comment but I just actually took the time to watch the video and read the article.

What the heck are they complaining about? The gay dude went on to Vegas! The judges were quite clearly expressing confusion because the dancers were switching roles back and forth -- I found that offputting myself, more so than the same-sex aspect. So the older dude wasn't into sword-fights. Big deal. That's really not surprising based on his age and probable upbringing. It doesn't make him homophobic.

So yeah, just backing you up 100%. Again.