Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Kids

I shared this on Facebook last night. And I had to share it here. Because I love my kids.

We were talking about the stomach in science yesterday and I was explaining the path that food takes from our stomach.

"We chew our food and our saliva mixes with it. It goes down our esophagus and into our stomach. Our stomach grinds it into tinier pieces and from there it goes to our small intestine. Our small intestine takes all the nutrients and vitamins that our body needs. When it's done, the leftover stuff that our body doesn't need goes to our large intestine."

Obviously I stopped here because I'm not about to open a discussion about poop with my small children. I ask if there are any questions and one hand goes up. I look at her and say, "Please tell me you aren't going to ask what I think you are." She is legitimately confused and asks, "But where does it go from the large intestine?"

Giggles from a couple students. One hand shoots up. More giggles.

I say, "Well... think about it. Think about where your intestine is... and what happens after we eat... and our body doesn't need it anymore..."

More giggles. And a look of comprehension then horror crosses my student's face. "Ohh... OOOOHHHHH."

More giggles. Outright laughter and "Ewwww" at this point from several kids.

That other hand is still in the air. "Mrs. Brincefield! I know where it goes! It turns into..."

I interrupted him. Because I'm not about to get into a poop discussion with my kids. Needless to say I lost them for a few minutes while they laughed at the whole conversation.

No comments: