Monday, June 8, 2009

Music Week: Songs From High School

It's music week! You get to judge me by my taste in music, yay!

As I made today's list I realized that my tastes were all over the place back then, much like they are today. Also, I was going to post a youtube video for each song. I realized that it was a MASSIVE PAIN IN THE REAR. Especially when so many labels/artists disable the embed feature. Laaaame. So my music player is at the end. Read through, then listen. Or listen as you read. Whatever you want to do.

So, songs from high school (I am totally dating myself with some of these).

1. Everybody by The Backstreet Boys * Oh yeah, I LOOOOVED the Backstreet Boys. My mom will tell you. I had the CDs, posters, VIDEOS... I was going to marry A.J. My girlfriends and I knew the moves for this ENTIRE VIDEO. If you don't remember it, and you feel like reminiscing (mom, you know you want to), you can click here for the video. I'm not gonna lie, I was totally singing the song as I wrote this blog.

2. Someday by Sugar Ray * Okay, I could have posted anything by Sugar Ray here. I had a crush on Mark McGrath. A guy with tattoos to a high school girl? Yup, automatic love. I remember going out and buying their album and listening to it ALL THE TIME. Actually, it was a pretty good one, maybe I should bust it out and have some good times...

3. Don't Speak by No Doubt * I got the Tragic Kingdom album my freshman year. Or maybe just before my freshman year. That was the start of the girl-crush on Gwen Stefani. I loved that she was kind of punk, but still girly. I had never wanted platinum blonde hair and red lips so badly in my life. This song still stands out the most though because I was a high schooler. Boy doesn't like me? Play this song. Break up? Play this song. Just plain bad day? Play this song. This is also the first concert I was DENIED and I still give my dad a bad time to this day.

4. You Were Meant For Me by Jewel * I got this CD my freshman year also. And I loved it. So what if Jewel had some funky teeth? She was cool. She played guitar and wrote amazing songs. This one was another one that was probably the anthem of many a high school girl. I mean, what girl didn't think her crush was meant for her?

5. Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band * I don't think I SERIOUSLY got into DMB until junior year. That's probably when I bought my first CD from them. Then I quickly went back and got the rest of the ones I could find. This was their "pretty song" that every girl liked though. And in high school, I was just like a lot of the other girls. And I am BEYOND STOKED THAT I WILL SEE DMB IN CONCERT IN TWO AND A HALF MONTHS!!!!

6. What I Got by Sublime * This was the CD that EVERYONE owned by the time we graduated. The stoners liked it, the preps liked it, the jocks liked it. If CDs could get STDs, this album would be the dirtiest one of the '90s. Easily. Everyone wanted to borrow it, or copy it, or just steal it from others. And every time I hear this song, I automatically flash back to the north parking lot at school, sitting in the back of my pumpkin orange monster of a truck.

7. California Love by 2Pac and Dr. Dre * This was as "gangsta" as I got. And 2Pac became decidedly "ungangsta" by the year 2000. Mostly because of this song. It was played at every party, every dance, and blasted from every car in our parking lot. It was just catchy, you couldn't NOT like it.

8. Tonight Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins * Another one purchased freshman year. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was another one that was owned by just about everyone. It was a 2-disc album which was a great thing for us high school kids. And it was just a great album! I still listen to it. And I still love this song in particular.

9. How's It Gonna Be by Third Eye Blind * I loved Third Eye Blind, much like the other females. And I loved this song. From the very first time I heard it. It was kind of depressing, which angsty high school girls like. I never owned the album though, I think it was just one that was consistently borrowed from friends.

10. Lovefool by The Cardigans * Right now, at least half of you are wondering what song this is. You are lost. It was from the Romeo and Juliet remake (with Leo DiCaprio and Claire Danes). And it was on the radio ALL THE TIME. It was just catchy. And I was a freshman at the time that it got big, so you can't expect me to demand a lot from my music at that age.


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com



Alrighty, there ya go. I had a seriously hard time narrowing it down and almost named albums, but I wanted actual songs to post here. Also participating with me is my buddy James, although his lists may be slightly different. I'm pretty excited for tomorrow, songs associated with good memories. Expect a lot of them to be about hubby, just deal with it.

1 comment:

MalContent said...

Dude, Lovefool was one of THE 90s songs. Damn, I forgot it on my list. But then, I haven't posted it yet, so I guess I can still add it. *grin*

Everybody... was that the "Everybody bow, bow bow bow bow" thing (I can't play the song right now, I'm at work)? That was the Backdoor Boys? I feel tainted.

DMB, yeah. With you there. Kinda surprised you don't have Where It's At, but I understand: You had to narrow it down.

Boy, your blog's more comprehensive than mine so far. I just listed a bunch of crap, ha ha. So far, anyway.