Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Music Week: Crappy Songs

Originally this post was supposed to be all about songs that I have a negative association with. Then I realized that there really aren't that many that make me want to poke my eardrums and/or punch somebody for any particular reason. So I extended it and included some songs that I could do with never hearing again.

1. How You Remind Me by Nickelback * So like every girl, I had bad judgement once or twice with my boyfriends. One weenie in particular ruined this song for me. It was really popular when we were dating so it was constantly on the radio. And one day, while doing his whiny "don't-ever-leave-me" bit, he said, "If you ever break up with me, this song will make me cry. I always think of you when I hear it." Thanks whiny girl. You succeeded in ruining this song for me now.

2. Baby Blue by George Strait * My mom and other people who know me are shocked that George Strait made the bad list. I STILL LOVE THE MAN. But in moments of (unsuccessfully) trying to be cute, the aforementioned weenie boyfriend would sing this. Badly. Which made no sense to me, seeing as how MY EYES ARE AS FAR FROM BLUE AS YOU CAN GET! He was an idiot, and I despise him a bit more for sending a George song to my bad list.

3. Picture to Burn by Taylor Swift * I get it, it's the ultimate "I hate you" song and it's cute and funny and so girl power. But the first time I heard it was an attempt to make me love it. I believe my response was, "Yeah, it's okay. I would have liked it in high school maybe." Which led the person forcing me to listen to get butthurt and act insulted. I'm sorry. I'm an adult woman, I have no angsty relationships.

4. My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion * Aside from the fact that the song was overplayed, I have a good reason to be irritated when I really want to think about it. My "friend" went with my ex (of two weeks who she had actively been trying to convince he should break up with me) to this movie. Then "accidentally" gushed all about their "date" while I stood not four feet away. If I had been a violent person, she would be missing teeth. And it still irritates me that I stayed friends with her and didn't put her in her place.

5. Tubthumping by Chumbawamba * Stupid song, stupid band name.

6. I Wanna Know by Joe * I knew a guy who had this at the beginning of his voicemail message. I was an idiot and didn't see it as a sign that he was a MASSIVE PLAYER. This song reminds me of those scumbags that think they're the sh*&.

7. Who Let the Dogs Out by Baha Men * Isn't that who sings it? Whatev. Again, ONE OF THE MOST ANNOYING SONGS TO EVER EXIST. Throw in an aunt with no musical taste who tried to convince me of how great it is, and I can skip it.

8. Macarena by Los Del Rio * How did a song sung by pervy old men get to be so popular? I unfortunately existed in the time that PE teachers and DJs at dances thought they HAD to play it. I've heard it about six thousand more times than is necessary.

9. Hey Baby Que Paso by Augie Meyers * If you don't know this song, I am so unbelievably envious of you. Really, you can't even imagine how much I wish I was you.

10. We Are Family by Sister Sledge * Overplayed and not that great. Then of course there's the fact that I heard it far more than necessary because my aunt who I like to not claim declared it "the family song." Um, no. I want out of the family.


MusicPlaylist
MySpace Music Playlist at MixPod.com



Tomorrow is guilty pleasures/horrible songs that I'm ashamed to like. Including bubblegum pop, and glorified strippers who think they can sing.

1 comment:

MalContent said...

Ha ha ha you're totally gonna have Fergilicious on tomorrow's list, aren't you? Ha ha.

I have to agree with you on these songs. The ones I know, anyway. And yes, you are correct: Baha Men did indeed inflict the dogs on the world.

I lol'd at "thanks whiny girl". And Baby Blue? For you? Really? Makes one wonder what color the sky is on his planet.