Tuesday, July 8, 2008

So on the subject of movies...

I watched a couple movies in the past few days that I had not yet seen. So here's a quick "what I thought" for y'all.

Sunday I watched Marie Antoinette. You know, the one with Kirsten Dunst from 2006. I had kind of wanted to see it when it was in theaters, but it wasn't high enough on the list for us to make it (that and I didn't think Tim would want to see it). But it came on one of our movie channels last month and I set the DVR for it so I could watch it later. So Sunday morning was a lazy morning. Tim was at work and I thought, Hey. I have a movie on DVR that I haven't watched yet. So I started it. And you know what? I really liked it. Like, really. It was good. Now I'm not even going to get into the fact that people argued how "unrealistic" and "falsified" it was because let's think about it, who goes to the movies for a history lesson? If you're gaining all your knowledge from the movies, I pity you.

So back to the movie. I'm not a huge fan of Kirsten Dunst. I don't hate her, but I'm definitely not a fan in general. But I liked her in this movie. The movie itself was fun. Sofia Coppola did a great job. I was torn whether to like Marie or think she was a bad person. And the general look of the movie... wow. I've been obsessed with pastels, chandeliers, and damask since Sunday. I could totally plan a ginormous party inspired just by the movie. Loved the dresses, the hair, the sets... everything.

The fact that I could kind of feel for the characters at least gave the movie some substance. It made it more than just eye candy. So if you haven't seen it, I say go for it. I may actually go buy it since my DVR won't store it forever (we found this out at my mom's when High School Musical just disappeared one day). Overall grade? Solid B+

Yesterday Tim had the day off and we decided to see what was on demand on Comcast. Sometimes there's actually good stuff in the free movies. So Tim saw Secondhand Lions listed. Neither of us had seen it and he had heard good things. I love Michael Caine, Tim loves Robert Duvall - seemed like a good choice.

So we started it. Once I got past the fact that Haley Joel Osment is no longer a cute kid, but rather an awkward looking manlet in this movie, I was fine. Actually Caine and Duvall were outstanding. They were hilarious. Easily my favorite part of the movie. The story was great. We both laughed, I came close to crying a couple times, and it just left you feeling happy. We need more movies like that.

So here's another one for you to see if you haven't. And if you know Tim, I'm sure you'll agree that he will be exactly like those two old men if something were ever to happen to me at an early age. Not quite eccentric but... yeah. So rent it. Or catch it on demand. It's fun. I give it an A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't seen it, The Bucket List is good, almost like Secondhand Lions