Friday, July 18, 2008

Mini-vacay... day one

So we never took our honeymoon (stupid school and work), and we desperately wanted a vacation. Tim somehow managed to have six days in a row off so we started planning this great trip that would take our whole time and be our honeymoon.

Then we realized we were seriously short on fundage. So we cut down the vacation and quit calling it a honeymoon. Because there's no way I was calling some three day trip a honeymoon. So Wednesday morning our trip started. I didn't play online during our vacation so here's a three part blog. A few days late.

Wednesday we had this great plan to leave by nine in the morning. I had to vacuum and unload the dishwasher, Tim had to get a passport photo (for an application), go to the bank and go to the post office. Put all of this together, and we did not get out by nine. He actually skipped the post office. He also didn't get his passport photo done because the first place he went didn't have a working machine. But everything else got done. Including Tim stopping at my mom's because she left us something. Well, she's pretty much awesome. She got a big gift bag and put a bunch of snacks in it, knowing we'd be doing a lot of driving for the next couple days.

So we finally leave here, go to get Tim's passport photo at a different place, then get on the road. We're barely out of Fresno when Tim realized that he didn't have our aquarium passes (we got free passes from someone he works with). So we turned around to go home. On the way I called mom to tell her thanks. She tells me that there was an ice chest Tim was supposed to grab too. So we go back to our apartment, back to mom's, then we FINALLY leave. If it's that hard to go out of town with just us, I can't imagine it with kids...

So we headed up to Monterey and went to the aquarium. Packed. Seriously packed. Does anyone work during the week? So we wandered for about an hour and decided it was too crazy in there. After we left we walked Cannery Row and stopped for lunch (pizza!). Then the walking continued almost down to the wharf. At one point we stopped and were looking at the water and totally saw dolphins playing. Like, jumping out of the water and everything. I have never cursed my lack of a good camera more than at that moment. Walked back to our car, stopping for a sugar fix along the way. Tim got a big cinnamon roll, like always. I headed straight for the Dippin' Dots shop. Funnest dessert on earth. I heart them. Very much.

Our hotel was near San Jose so we made the drive there. Kind of boring. The hotel was... interesting. Between the scary parking lot and the barefoot white trash couple... yeah. But it was super cheap, which was what we were going for. And we did get to park right next to the entrance, and my car was still there in the morning. All good.

One random thing I noticed was the channels on the television. Here in Fresno we've got I don't know how many Spanish channels. While we were flipping through the channels we found one station in some Asian language, one Punjab station, but NO Spanish. We eventually settled on SciFi, which we could understand.

So that was uneventful day one. If you're my msypace friend, you can see pics. Tomorrow, day two and me being super amused with myself...

No comments: