Friday, July 25, 2008

Follow up for the ladies

So my friend "Mal" raised a point. I did make it sound like a lot of guys don't get the girl. But that's not entirely true.

The types I mentioned are susceptible to the same thing any human being is susceptible to: maturity. I know, you're thinking, "Boys get mature?! You're a rotten liar!" But it's true! My musician got over himself and got married. He's even got kids now.

The one my mom hated? After multiple heartbreaks (can't say he didn't deserve them) he's finally getting married. Well, at least he's closer to the wedding date than he was with his previous engagements. But it looks like this is finally the right girl for him (yes, I still talk to him).

I already mentioned that when you date down the guy might be worth keeping around. So I'll leave it at that.

Makeover guy... well if he doesn't have the balls to stand up to you and you actually like that, then I guess you could keep him. But I would wonder why you would want to! There are also the guys that resist completely - you could end up liking that. Then there are the in between guys. Like my hubby. He hasn't changed much, but he does wear flip flops and polos more than he did when we met. Of course I'm not sure he owned flip flops or polos when we met... point is, he changed just a tiny bit. But he'd die before letting me make him over completely. And I like that. Because his laid back mannerisms have rubbed off on me too. So anyway, makeover guy has potential.

The hot guy who knows it is a hit or miss. Some of them grow up and realize they don't want to be that nasty fifty-year-old that still hits bars for women. They take patience though. They're so used to being man-whores that the flirting and non-consideration of the real world (not the show BTW) can take a while to disappear. But they can be worth it. Although I don't know any that ended up being worth it. Wait... nope, don't know any.

And there's your follow-up. So are any of you asking what kind of guy you should keep? Well, I told you that some of these types can stick around. But there is no guaranteed good guy. I don't know you well enough to tell you exactly who to date. The family you were raised with makes a huge difference. But for me, I can tell you that the biggest thing when I was dating Tim was the fact that he so easily fit into my family. I'm seriously close with my family so that was super important. I never worried about leaving him in the room with my dad and uncle because he could sit there and b.s. right along with them.

So if I could tell you one thing, maybe it's that you should decide what is really super important. And I don't mean making a list, that never worked for anyone I know. Because most of the time those lists are made at an entirely too young and idealistic age. So how often are you going to find a guy that meets every requirement of a girl who still thinks she's a princess? Just look at the guys you dated and take note of the qualities that didn't work for you. Avoid that in the future.

There's no way anyone would ever call dating easy. And there's no way that the perspective of a complete stranger is going to solve all your dating problems. But hey, I try. And if for some reason something I said clicks and leads to you getting married, let me know. I like ego boosts.

No comments: