Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Whole Range of Feelings

So my team is totes in the Big Game this year. Go Packers!!! I also dug up my old Favre jersey (since I don't have one with a current player's number). I questioned whether or not I would sit through the half-time show.

You see, the Black Eyed Peas and I have a love-hate relationship. I love their older stuff. Their newer stuff... welllll... I guess we could leave it at the fact that I rarely love it. I typically find myself thinking, "What IS this?" Then I feel old.

So half-time could be great, or it could be confusing. I had no idea what to expect.

Overall, solid A performance. The whole thing was really well put-together, the songs flowed nicely, the costumes weren't God-awful, and Fergie didn't totally offend my eyes (although I have to mention Will.I.Am's headpiece... ummmm... whaaaat?). I even enjoyed most of the songs they performed. AND Usher. I mean, I grew up in his hey day (is there a space in there?) and the man can DANCE.

Then Slash showed up, which was awesome. I love Slash, my brother used to have hair like him (R.I.P. Nick's glorious hair). But then Fergie went and gyrated on him. And let rip the WORST rendition of "Sweet Child of Mine" to ever hit my ear drums. And I've heard that song done at karaoke multiple times. I cringed. Then I said words. I almost tweeted, but the whole lack of a laptop interferes with that at times. I cringed some more, and almost wept.

But that wasn't the worst part.

See, while shopping with sissy awhile ago, I heard this AWFUL bastardization of "I've Had the Time of My Life." You know, the famous ending song from Dirty Dancing. The song that made a generation of girls want a pink twirly dress and a Johnny to dance with. I heard it in the store, almost threw up, but then promptly forgot about it.

Until half-time.

When Will.I.Am starts singing it. And Fergie joins in. And I almost lost my Captain and Coke. Now I know who to blame. And now I'm ashamed for enjoying any of the half-time show at all.

I'm going to go watch the Packers win now. And then enjoy a new episode of Glee. Happy Super Bowl.

No comments: