Tuesday, February 3, 2009

American Idol - Hollywood

The list got cut down to 104 contestants tonight. My overall review, I'm happy about a few that got through. Others... not so much.

It kills me that Ryan has to open the show with how it's "the biggest season yet." Um, don't you say that every year? What if it proves to be a letdown? Can I call you a liar?

One change this year was stylists and vocal coaches in the Hollywood round! Can I just tell you I was very excited for stylists? They also brought in Barry Manilow as a mentor or something. He really just gave the finalists a speech. Is it bad that I'm pretty much the opposite of impressed with him? Sure, argue that he's timeless, but with that amount of plastic surgery I could be timeless too! Hubby actually quipped that that's what Clay Aiken will look like in fifty years. It earned a laugh from me.

Little notes about the night:
  • Dennis reminded me of Urkel. His face kind of said surprised or scared a lot. Not a good singer. I'm glad he didn't make it through. I think he's a little nuts.
  • Nathaniel... I don't remember him from auditions, but he has a good voice. But what happened to the stylists? His outfit (and HEADBAND) was mildly distracting.
  • Anoop is the guy that had some serious eyebrows and looked "geeky." (Simon said it, not me.) Either the stylists did a number on him or he doesn't always dress geeky, because he looked like he might be able to make it through for a bit. Helps that he really does have a good voice.
  • Rose was the cute hippie chick. She sounded nervous. But her whole group made it through. And I think Jason Castro's brother was in that group! Any hope for more Jason is alright with me...
  • I like Jorge, he's the guy who sang in Spanish and English. I hate that Kara called him "George." Really? Really Kara???
  • Simon called Von "indulgent" and "annoying." I think I agree with the indulgent thing.
  • Norman Gentle from auditions? Yeah, he was an alter ego of Nick. And Nick obviously doesn't give a spit about the competition because he unleashed Norman again. I think I'm with Simon in the "annoyed and ready to hurt him" camp. And for some reason they let him through.
  • Danny is the one who lost his wife. AND I LOVE HIM! He's reeeeally good. I will be voting for him.
  • "Bikini Girl" has a name and it's Katrina. Does anyone else find it amusingly coincidental that she shares a name with one of the worst natural disasters this decade? She made it through, but the highlight of her whole segment was Kara being catty after she left the stage. She totally turned to Paula and said, "Bring your pole tomorrow." I died.
  • David Osmond is good, but I swear if they use him as a way to get Donny and Marie on this show for any amount of time I WILL CHANGE THE CHANNEL!
  • Emily chose a completely different song than she had been practicing. She is totally lucky she made it through after a stupid decision like that.
  • Erika annoyed me when she begged for another chance. She even threw in that it was her husband's birthday. Honey, the judges don't care.
  • Brent, the one that made me swoon during auditions made it. Maybe I'll have to vote for him too...

There you have it. My breakdown of the night. And in case any of you are wondering how I kept names and quotes straight...

I totally took notes in my journal.

See you tomorrow for more!

No comments: